Wednesday, January 26, 2011

GPS not working?!

I tapped on the Maps application and it does not tell me my current location. The iPad was only on wifi and I went to the WWW and was informed that it will take 15 minutes to determine location. However, a popup message informed me "Cannot Determine Location"!

I was puzzled why there were those who wrote that 3G must be turned on. Since I had no prepaid load on my SIM, I have turned the Settings>Carrier off. Turning it on, the iPad Maps application rapidly zeroed on my location! I think the ipad is not really using a GPS, but rather computes location using cell towers signald based on strength and applying a simple triangulation.


And wonder of wonders, after turning off my 3G Carrier, the iPad Map program was now able to show my location!


A simple geolocation service has expropriated the GPS(Global Positioning System) moniker!

No comments:

Post a Comment